R72 Infrared - Dark Red
- Blocks visible light up to 720nm (high-red)
- Provides more predictable results than filters that only pass Infrared light above 850 or 900nm
- Works great with infrared film and digital cameras modified for increased IR sensitivity
- Variable filter factor depending on ISO sensitivity and lighting conditions
- Use with colored black and white contrast filters for more creative color and contrast effects
The Hoya R72 Infrared filter is specifically designed for infrared photography with digital cameras and infrared film.
Infrared light starts in the high-red area of the visible spectrum at around 750nm and goes up beyond 1000nm. This light is not visible to the naked eye. The R72 filter only allows light to pass through the lens from the very high red edge of the visible spectrum. Infrared photography yields different results because an object in a scene reflects infrared light differently than normal light.
Due to the nature of infrared light, filter factor and exposure compensation vary widely from visible light and depend largely on lighting conditions.
The R72 Infrared filter is useful:
With digital cameras, especially mirrorless cameras or DSLRS with no IR blocking filter in front of the sensor. (Please check your camera's owners manual)
Only passes light at 720nm (high-red) and above. Gives more predictable results than filters that only pass Infrared light above 850 or 900nm.
Paired with colored black and white contrast filters such as the R25 (red), K2 (yellow), O (orange) or other color filters to change the color rendition or contrast effects.
Filter Factor: Specialty Glass Type: Hoya Optical Number of Multi-Coatings: 0 Hardened Top Layer: No Anti-Static: No Frame Construction: Standard Profile / Aluminum Front Filter Threads: Yes